The Academic Board has oversight of the academic affairs of the institution and draws its membership entirely from the staff and students of the institution.
The Board is particularly concerned with general issues in relation to the learning and teaching and research work of the institution. This includes:
- the criteria for admission of students;
- the appointment and removal of internal and external examiners;
- the policies and procedures for assessment and examination of the academic performance of students;
- the content of the curriculum;
- the academic standards and the validation and review of courses;
- the procedures for the award of qualifications and honorary academic titles;
- the procedures for the expulsion of students for academic reasons;
- the consideration of the development of the academic activities of the School and the resources needed to support them and for advising the Principal and the Governors thereon;
- for advising on such matters as the Governors or the Principal may refer to the Academic Board.
The Academic Board discharges its work through a variety of sub-committees that include the Board of Examiners, Faculty Board, Research & Ethics Committee and the Research Degrees Committee.
The Academic Board reports to the Board of Governors.