Cookies & Privacy
Here at Royal Central School of Speech and Drama we want you to reassure you that your privacy is respected and safe in our hands. We only ever collect information from you that helps us to help you get the most out of your visit to our site.
What is a cookie and why are they used?
What is a cookie?
cssd.ac.uk does use some non-essential cookies. We do not do this to track individual users or to identify them, but to gain useful knowledge about how the site is used so that we can keep improving it for our users. Without the knowledge we gain from the systems that use these cookies we would not be able to provide the service we do.
Cookies may be set by the website you are visiting (‘first party cookies’) or they may be set by other websites who run content on the page you are viewing (‘third party cookies’).
- to make your visit to our site smoother. So, for example, it remembers what preferences you set on a particular page such as a sortable or searchable list. It also allows us to customise our site according to your individual interests.
- to monitor and measure what visitors do on our website. This allows us to know what areas of the site are popular, how often visitors come back, where they come from, whether they are using a PC or a mobile device and so on. Knowing how our site is being used means we can enhance users' experience in future.
When visiting our websites you may have the following cookies placed on your computer:
- Session cookie. This cookie lasts for the duration of your visit. It is destroyed when you close the browser or navigate away from the CSSD site .
- Session tracking cookie. These cookies are set on your first visit to our website. They last longer than the duration of your stay and are used to help us understand which parts of our sites are regularly visited and how we can improve the service we deliver.
- Visit tracking cookie. These cookies are used by us to track repeat visitors to our sites. We do this so we can build up a picture of how visitors use our sites and how best to improve our service.
Cookies we use
The following table lists the cookies we use on our website (www.cssd.ac.uk).
|First Party Cookies|
|CSSD||SESS...||Session ID used to recognise that subsequent page requests originate from the same web browser. Essential for the correct functioning of online surveys and areas of the website protected by a login.|
|CSSD||Drupal.toolbar.collapsed||Placed by our website management software Drupal to remember display preferences|
|Third Party Cookies|
|Google Maps||APISID, HSID, NID, PREF, SAPISID, SID, SSID||These cookies are used by Google to store user preferences and information when viewing pages with Google maps on them.|
|Google Analytics||__UTMZ __UTMC, __UTMB, __UTMA||These cookies are used to collect information about how visitors use our site. We use the information to compile reports and to help us improve the site for you. The cookies collect information in an anonymous form, including the number of visitors to the site, where visitors have come to the site from and the pages they visited. To opt out of being tracked by Google Analytics across all websites visit tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout|
|YouTube||use_hitbox, PREF, GPS, VISITOR_INFO1_LIVE||We use YouTube to embed a selection of videos on our student profiles and other sections of the . The embedded videos do not set cookies themselves and can be played with no cookies set. However, if the ‘Share’ button is clicked YouTube will set these two cookies. The VISITOR_INFO1_LIVE cookie attempts to estimate your bandwidth and the use_hitbox cookie increments the ‘views’ counter on the YouTube video. These cookies don’t gather information that identifies a user.|
|Flash Video||N/A||Flash cookies (also known as Local Shared Objects) may be stored on your computer when you have Adobe Flash installed and view Flash media, such as videos embedded using YouTube or Flowplayer. Flash Cookies are stored on your computer much the same as cookies are, however it is not possible to manage them using a browser. Adobe's website offers a tool to control Flash cookies.|
Opting out of accepting cookies
Because of the way our site operates, cookies are needed to allow some of its functionality to work and therefore we recommend that you accept them.
However, if you choose to opt out of receiving our cookies, please understand that although you can still use our site, some functions may not work and your experience may not be as smooth or as enjoyable as we aim to deliver for all our users.
If you still decide to opt out, you have two options:
- You can adjust the settings on your internet browser to prevent cookies being downloaded. How this is done varies according to which browser you are using and we recommend you refer to the appropriate online help guides.
- You can opt out of receiving specifically those cookies we use to track how people are using our site.
- Visitors may opt out of our use of Analytics by visiting the Google Analytics Opt-out page.
To find out more about cookies generally, including how to control and delete them, visit www.allaboutcookies.org.